Friday, June 5, 2009

Everlasting joy

Productivity is the name of the game. First, the closets were attacked. There were nine loads of laundry hiding in there!! Who knew I even had that much clothing? Wow.

While I was waiting to rotate loads I decided I'd bake a cake with the cherries I had left from yesterday. Pitting them wasn't that difficult, actually. It was fun! The red juice is so deep and vivid in color. I pulled up a basic cake recipe from the internet and just played around with it to suit my liking. I added vanilla, fresh ground cloves, and fresh ground anise seed. For the icing, I made a lemon yogurt sauce which I drizzled over the top when it was done cooling. Oh - my - goodness! I have never in my life made anything so delicious as this sucker.... I'm going to bring it into work this evening to share with everyone. It simply must be shared!







2 comments:

  1. wow. cherries. I'm so jealous. the seemingly hard work of pitting cherries has kept me from ever baking with them, though I've never seemed to have a problem shelling pistachios, or zesting citrus, or kneading dough. I'm sure it's not much harder.
    that cake looks amazing, though. it's enough to motivate me to learn how to pit cherries. well, almost enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really simple!! I just dug the two tips of my thumb nails into the flesh until I hit the pit then pried the cherry open, running my finger along the round body of the seed to get as much flesh as I could from the cherry...

    ReplyDelete