Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Never gonna let you down

Ammendments are healthy, and if one lives their lives properly, they are inevitable necessities.

Being home feels not only serene, but full of strength. This is where I am most centered. It is a place to protect, always; it is one's most private place. Those who have come into my home would know, my energy is everywhere. All of the things I hold most dear are here, surrounding the spaces. There is color and fabric, there are a thousand charms from the earth, everyone of them tell a story. A rock, a petrified stick spit out from the ocean, a feather, a collection of the tiniest sea shells gathered in a miniature tin cup.

There is strength in these days. There is direction and purpose, and I cannot begin to say how much this has refreshed life. There is energy here, and movement.... directed movement. A place to pour one's passions. I am excited to make this move. I know I am going at it alone. Despite casually dating. I need to go it alone. This is going to need all of me, and I want to give it all of me.

I do not know where I will end up. I have submitted a list of preferences, Atlanta of course was my first preference mainly because Grandmom is sick and I want to be here for the family as she lives out her last days. My mother needs me right now. Though her and I have talked about the possibility of me moving elsewhere, she is okay with whatever turn out (though I know, secretly, she hopes for Atlanta too). Other places I could end up: Nashville, ST.Louis, Chicago, Eastern North Carolina, Baltimore, Bar Area California, and Pheonix Arizona.

The company will put me where I am most needed. And then the next two years will unfold, of hard and challenging work. Teaching children in low-income areas. I know the challenges they face, and I know how easy it will be for them to drop out of school. Looking back at my own experience, I know that if only I'd had a mentor, a teacher who beleived in me, took interest in my talents, I would have had a much easier course -- I would not have been another high school drop out statistic. I know that I am a rare case, in that I've put myself through college, earned a degree with research honors, and worked full time all the while. Doing this has taken a lot of serious drive, dedication, and discipline.

The future holds terrific prospects. I am ready for the next phase of life. And in many ways, I am ready to leave this city. So many inside transformations have occurred over the last four years of living here, that sometimes, this city feels like a glove too small, or ill-fit. There are strange memories around some corners, things I would like to leave far, far behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment