Thursday, February 12, 2009

So many territories ready to reform

I made it through yesterday's third and final interview -- an all day affair. It was actually pretty challenging, and stressful to say the least. With no more than four hours of sleep I went in with my lesson plan and handouts, ready to go, longing for coffee (what a morning to run out of beans!). The first thing I noticed was all of the other interviewees with their home-made posters. Poster?! Who in the hell has time to make a poster?! Oh, precious Emory students who have full ride scholarships and whose mommy's and daddy's pay for their living expenses. That's who! I was the only Georgia State student, and the only one not involved in at least five volunteer programs. Does working full time between two jobs count for anything??

Regardless of my poster-less start, I executed my lesson plan with grace and, surprisingly, within the small five minute timeframe they gave me. I had to laugh at the fact that of course, I was also the only one who chose to teach an upper-level concept. Everyone else taught such easy, straight forward topics as second grade compound words, the FOIL method for math, introduction to the periodic table, etc. I on the other hand, taught diction and tone of voice in contemporary poetic techniques. Yeaa, that's me -- always the complicated one. At least I enjoyed the poem I used by Lucille Clifton -- "i am accused of tending to the past..." -- it's just such a wonderful piece! It wasn't hard to be passionate about talking to the "class" about it, and getting them engaged with the material. I did however, think I was going to throw up just before I got up to teach. It was a terrible anxiety attack sitting there waiting, I honestly wanted to walk right out the door... even though this is most definately what I want to do. It's a funny thing.

Unfortunately, I did completely botch the short role-playing senario between me and my interviewer. I just didn't understand the concept of role-playing. I thought she wanted me to come up with a solution to the problem. Little did I know she was actually fishing for a reaction. It's not hard to confuse me.

I kept reminding myself that if I did at any point screw it all up... at least I looked pretty damn good in my new $300 Banana Republic business suit. (And no, I didn't remember to save the tags)

In random news:

- Religion annoys me.

- Robitussen stays in the system far too long.

- Why couldn't Bush have passed a Stimulus plan that allowed new cars to be written off on our taxes? Seeing as how I just bought a new car little more than a year ago... Oh yea, because it's Bush, and Bush is a moron. (And I know that the world does not revolve around what happens in my life, and that it doesn't necessarily follow that Bush is a moron simply because he did not benefit me... it's still just as good an opportunity as any to call him a moron. It gives me satisfaction to do so)

- Watched 9 and 1/2 weeks... need I say more?? Mickey Rourke, Kim Basinger (before all the cosmetic surgery) -- smoking hot. And very, very interesting psychologically. As an aside, I must admit, there's just something about the '80's that's really, really cool.

- I now have just a hate relationship with this thesis project.

- Fake chicken patties are actually pretty good.

- Today, in the car while driving home, I thought that if I don't get this job with TFA, then I will resign myself to being a fucking school bus driver.

- Campus is a strange, strange place, if you look at it closely enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment