Sunday, April 5, 2009

Stand on honest ground

So I made lentil hummus today. Yes, Lentil hummus. It's fantastic. To be completely honest, I was out of garbanzos beans but due to my constant craving for hummus (it's unexplainable) I decided the dusty can of lentils in the back of the pantry would have to do. And boy, did it ever!!

I would post a picture for you here, but hummus really isn't a pretty dish. Here's what I put in this little number (and I totally whipped this one out of thin air): marinated artichoke hearts, pimientos, seasame tahini (only a tablespoon), lots of lemon juice, fresh ground cumin, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper and olive oil. The flavors just rock. The artichokes make a great contribution to the flavor, and are probably the most showcased ingredient on the palate. The cumin adds a touch of smokiness. The lemon and pimientos give a nice tang.

Among other things...
Spring is here, and it's beautiful. I need to get out and snap some photos soon, if I ever get a day with sunshine! On my run this afternoon I was really enjoying the fresh air so full of newly born wisteria blooms. The dogwoods are bursting clusters like popcorn! I think the Dogwood is what makes me love Georgia, and always reminds me of my home. This is where I come from. The land of Dogwoods. The street I grew up on as a kid was lined in dogwood trees on both sides.

School = stress right now. Two math exams, a math project, a ten page paper, and this thesis to complete... all in three weeks. My magic-erase board is full of appointments and deadlines. Wednesday I have an interview for a tutoring position. It would be a terrific gig if I land it. Teaching a child one-on-one Monday through Friday from 8am to 1pm. I'd have a normal life with normal working hours. And it would provide me the time to work on writing and trying to get some things published. I need to investigate more poetry outlets, and try to find good places to submit. I've also been jotting down a list of ideas for short stories that I'd like to put together this summer.

Aaaand... I need to drive out to Missouri soon. I miss that sweet little family!!! I want to see Finn's baby teeth sprouting up, eat some of Jess's yummy desserts, and laugh at Scott's antics. I miss my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment